Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Reflections on my Baptism

Now that I am finally baptized I find it unbelievable that it took me so long to get here. It seems such a natural step of a follower of Christ. My hesitations were certainly fear based. As simple as not wanting to be and speak in front of a thousand people I do not know and share what is still to me an intimate story of my walk with Christ. Oddly enough, I have no doubt that my ministry will involve an unveiling of all my secrets to the world. Of all the stumbles and falls that make up my 27 years of trying to get it right- but always missing the mark. But, I haven't quite been ready to proclaim all of these things to strangers- and the Lord has not asked that of me yet. So thus the many years of putting off my baptism.

I do feel that the Lord has blessed me in every way concerning the day I was dunked. He truly answered my prayers. My friends and family were present, and it took my breath away the effort put forth by those people to be there! The one who performed my baptism is a very wonderful friend who knows me well. I really cannot imagine it being any other way. The words he spoke before the baptism were perfect. Short and sweet. I feel so blessed. And then to be able to stand beside my sister and my best friend and share this glorious day with them-in celebration of their baptism and mine. To proclaim a repentance of our sin and new life in Christ together.

Well, it was almost like a dream. How sweet a day it could be was almost beyond my highest hopes. Tears came down-Aunties, Grandma, me. To see how much joy and hope this day gave my Grandma and my Great-Auntie Leah (two great matriarchs of our family)- precious moments like these are to be savored. The sun was brilliant, the sky blue, the sweet smell of summer coming to life. I remember just taking a moment to look around- about 15 cameras going crazy. Smiling faces, encouraging nods, tears. I was standing in the ice cold Nooksack River, Blake was giving me instructions, Karla and Tiffany were about 10 feet away shivering as they waited their turn. And all along the shoreline- as close as they could get-my people. Those who love me. All of them smiling back at me. This is peace.

ps for more on this check out Fide Poeta, I have the link on the right of the screen- that is Blake's blog- the friend who performed the baptism. He did a beautiful job describing his experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home